Friday, June 7, 2013

10 Weeks

I found out at week 6 I was pregnant with twins. I was in complete shock. I was scared to death. I honestly didn't think it would happen to me. I mean, my husband is only a twin and has a few sets on his side, and I have a few on my side. But, what are the odds? 
I cried... for days.
I cried over the fact that my spoiled rotten little 2 year old girl will no longer be my everything. She will now have to share- her toys and all of the attention. 
I cried over the fact that I work. I'm a teacher for students with exceptionalities. It was difficult to learn about the cuts that they are making to save money and the amount of kids I am going to have, but it would put more stress on my pregnant self. I cried because I really don't want to go back. As much as I love my class and my students, it tears me apart to know that I cannot put my own kids first. I am going to try to convince my husband that I need to stay home for a few years.
I cried over the financial aspect. How am I going to pay for day care for 3 kids on a teacher/policeman salary? 
I also cried over the belly. The first thing I did the night that I found out was google "twin pregnancy belly". I am going to get huge.
I cried over knowing how selfish all of these things seem since we were trying for another baby. One baby, not two more!
I cried because our family vacations to FL and GA will not be happening for a while. I wanted to take my daughter to Disney World in October, but I will be too pregnant...
I cried because I felt like shit. I was so sick; I felt like I had the flu. Body aches, fever, ear aches, joint pain, nausea... It was bad. Then, I can across an article that suggested that it could be a deficiency in folic acid. I immediately started taking an additional supplement on top of the prenatal for 800mg of folic acid. WOW! What a difference. I think all morning sickness sufferers need to up their folic acid. 
Oh! I cried because I was bleeding and cramping. I started bleeding after we went camping- I know, DUMB! 
When we went camping and I started bleeding, I didn't know we were having twins. I went to the OB to find out why I was bleeding, suspecting a miscarriage. They found TWINS, but didn't tell me why I was bleeding. We were so wrapped up in the twin thing that we all forgot. So, home I went. I bled for about a month. I went in for a follow up ultrasound 2 weeks after finding twins. The ultrasound tech (don't ever listen to them), said everything looked good, but the Dr would call. I was excited and by that time, the bleeding had lightened. A few days later at work, I bled more than before and it was dark and scary. I called the OB and they asked if I saw the DR. I replied, NO! So, the nurse told me over the phone that the doctor didn't see the ultrasound, but I had a "small subchorionic hemorrhage." I asked what that meant and she said it was just a bleed... WOW! Thanks for that information. 
Needless to say, due to their lax attitude about twins and my bleed I found a new OB! 
My new OB sent me in to do 5 pages of blood work orders. Oh MY! She also said I gained 10lbs in a month... CRAP! (I'm blaming it on the massive boob growth I have had.)
She said the bleed is GONE and I am free to move around the cabin. :) Since I had been on summer break for the past 2 week, I have not been doing much. I think it really helped to heal the bleed. 
She also suggested that I go on progesterone shots for every week starting at week 16 since I have a history of preterm labor. 
I am fighting in my head over this shot. I really believe that I went into preterm labor because I was completely dehydrated. They stopped it at 32 weeks and I was able to hold on to her until 37 weeks. I would think if it were truly preterm labor because of a thin cervix, I would have had her then or close to then. But hey, I am not a Dr.
I want to hold off on the shots until about 20 weeks or so. I am going in every month right now to measure my cervix, so maybe I will go off of what my cervix does. I am not sure.... 
I also read through March Of Dimes that progesterone shots have not had any effect on women with multiples. It hasn't been proven. Of course I want to do what is best for the babies. However, I feel like my motherly instinct is telling me these shots are not well enough researched. So many questions. Like, will it make the babies (if they are girls) more moody, have behavioral problems, be larger? If they are boys, will it make them more feminine? What kind of psycho pregnant lady will be on the shots? If i continue to drink my 2 gallons of water a day, will I even have preterm labor? 

Sorry for being so long winded on my first blog! :) 

Remember: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothing at all.... 

3 comments:

  1. You are wise beyond your years. Do what is right for all of you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog, it's a nice way to stay caught up on whats going on with you. Continue to do what feels right and do lots of research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last line awesome!!! I will be reading every post.

    ReplyDelete