Wednesday, August 21, 2013

21 Weeks

21 weeks
I am 21 weeks with 3 more weeks until these twosies are viable! It is so scary to think that, but I have every intention of keeping these babies in until at least 36 weeks and if I need to be on bed rest until then, SO BE IT!

Bed rest is a nerve racking experience. I went on bed rest a little too early this round, earlier than expected- all because of work. I need a sitdown/ laydown couch job. :) 

I can across an article about vernix. It intrigued me, so I looked into it more. I wouldn't say I "researched" it, because I hate that term when all you have is the internet on hand without actually experiencing the idea. Anyways- vernix is that white coating on the baby when they are born. Many people don't want to hold their baby until this coating is off and the baby is cleaned up and swaddled. My experience with Ava wasn't that I wanted her clean- I was in complete shock because she was so beautiful and perfect. I couldn't move.... Kind of silly, but yea... I know now I will put this little tid bit in my birth plan. Some studies suggest holding off on giving the newborn a bath because the vernix will actually help protect the baby's skin. The exposure of those nasty bacterias after they are born wont be as shocking if you delay their first bath. Apparently it acts as a hydrophobic barrier, antimicrobial, temperature regulator, antioxidant, antibacterial, and a moisturizer. The vernix will naturally come off after 5 days. Some people have said that it helps premies because of the protectant properties. They also suggest that it will help the babies to bond easily to the mother. Not that they don't already bond, but rather than putting them in an unnatural bath with regular baby shampoo first or even a few minutes later will make a difference. With the possibility of having premies, I am all for this! One article I read even suggested taking a bath with your baby as their first experience. 
Here is one article and to the right of it are more abstract you can search through. Also "google" "delay baby's first bath". A ton of information will pop up. It is interesting to note that many of the studies were completed in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Not too many recently used in this particular article. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763724/

We have been racking our brains for NAMES! Nothing is sticking out. With Ava, we had 3 names that came to us- it was so easy! Now, I/we cannot think of any we can agree on. 


What is going on?
Dizzy- Mainly when I am sitting or laying down. The other day I was sitting up in bed with Ava. Her head was on my stomach and I kept getting dizzy. 10 minutes later I blacked out for a split second, jilted because I thought I fell out of bed. I didn't. Sitting her on the computer I get bouts of dizziness. Driving with the hubs the other day, I got car sick because I was dizzy. I have a feeling these babies are sitting on something that is blocking the blood to my brain!! 
Stomach issues- Im back to hypoallergenic foods for me! Hopefully, I can resist the urge to indulge in those delicious things pregnant women should eat. My stomach is killing me.

See you next week for an update on the cervix!

 or two...


1 comment:

  1. I watch a ton of moms on YouTube and one of them delayed the first bath and when it came time she did some sort of newborn herbal bath. It's supposed to help momma heal and help the baby too. Some other moms also do delayed cord cutting, which depending on how you're giving birth, may not be feasible. I'm just fascinated with pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete